+44 (0)1509 263171
Get Involved - Careers and Mentoring
To offer your support, or for further details on any of these opportunities, please contact Katharine Green, Alumni Engagement Executive.
Telephone: +44 (0)1509 228558
Become an Alumni Mentor
We are looking for mentors for 1-2-1 mentoring for Loughborough University and Loughborough University, London students. Our Alumni Mentoring Scheme offers the opportunity to mentor ambitious Loughborough students and for you to be able to give guidance through your own experience or through your company. You can provide vital experience and opportunities to our students as they get ready for life after graduation.
Benefits of becoming a mentor
- Personal satisfaction gained by mentoring and seeing your mentee develop and grow in confidence.
- Mentors have the chance to develop their coaching, listening and people management skills.
- It’s a great way for alumni to maintain the link with your university.
Offer a job shadowing opportunity
We are looking for companies to offer a job shadowing opportunity to our students. This is where a Loughborough student gets the opportunity to observe and talk to a career professional as they do their day-to-day job. It often takes place over one working day, although it can be taken over a few days, or up to a maximum of two weeks, depending on what works best for the host.
We are keen to increase the number of job shadowing opportunities available to our students who are studying at Loughborough University and Loughborough University London. This will help to enhance their CV and equip them with first-hand experience of the 21st-century workplace in their chosen profession.
Offer Work Placements/ internships
We are looking for individuals and companies to provide a work experience placement to Loughborough University and Loughborough University London students. Organisations can recruit students for flexible periods of employment, where students can undertake short to long periods of work experience which meet the needs of the business, Work placements may be UK or international and students are supported by placement co-ordinators, employability officers and academic module tutors.
Benefits of offering a work placement:
- Their positive, ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to work independently will benefit your company from day one.
- They will bring the latest ideas and innovative approaches to your business.
- They will look at ‘old’ problems with ‘fresh eyes’ and inspire existing staff to do the same.
- Their high level numeracy, literacy and team working abilities will be a breath of fresh air.
- They can add real value by taking on challenging responsibilities and projects which directly impact the success of your business.
- A placement can be viewed as a long interview for a possible graduate role in the future which could help to secure future talent in areas with skills shortages, such as, technical and engineering roles.
- They can raise the profile of your organisation to their peers through powerful word-of-mouth, augmenting your brand as an employer of students.
Provide a career profile
We feature alumni profiles across the University website and in our printed materials. Alumni profiles provide valuable insights to our students and to fellow alumni. What advice would you give to graduating students? What do you miss about studying at Loughborough? This is a great chance to show your fellow alumni how your time at Loughborough shaped your career path and personal endeavours. Most importantly, tell us about what you are doing now and how you got there.
Please download and return our Alumni Career Profile form (Word document).